Monday, April 09, 2007

Things I never knew-

I remember my great grandfather Hawley, (Sherman) as an old man with snow white hair. I seem to remember him smelling like pipe tobacco and he always wore a black cardigan sweater with big pockets where he kept his tobacco and hard candy (unwrapped). He'd pull out a piece of candy and give it to us, apparently the lint and pieces of tobacco didn't bother us, although I found out years later it made my mother cringe every time. He died when I was 8 years old. I knew that he lived on the farm in the big farm house in Liberty Township, and my grandmother, his daughter lived down the road in the little house. I always thought he always lived there.

A few months ago, while checking the census I found out that he lived in the city of Jackson, and worked in the automotive industry. His wife, Nettie, was listed as a boarding house keeper, and in the census it listed all of their children and several boarders.

That's one of the things I like about genealogy learning new things and getting to know family members I never even met.
Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment